Sunday, June 14, 2009


Here in Colorado we are still experiencing spring, early flowers are blooming, trees haven't had their leaves for long, and there is still snow patches above 9,000ft. Whitewater rafting during this time is good because the water level is high which helps the river run faster, create bigger rapids, and provide extra splash. The splash however is similar to someone throwing freshly melted ice down your back with no warning. Despite the frigid water, on our staff rafting trip we still managed to get a nice sized crew to jump off 'jump rock' which stands 25ft above the Colorado river. It being the first cliff that I jumped off, it holds a special place in my heart. One cliff jump under my belt for the summer and hopefully many more to come. We made it through staff training with great spirits and lots of energy. We were finally able to get some time off this past weekend, short but, oh so SWEET. I was able to test my balance on a slack line for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed the challenge, unfortunately lightning storms in the mountains, at 8750ft, is nothing to be messing with. A huge storm came through for about 45mins shooting lightning to the ground about every minute or so; the best lightning storm I have seen in way too long.

Today camp really started. Kids are the key component to make the wheels spin, and they are spinning. This week, I am without campers, my job is to stay at camp and help drive people who have trips to their trail heads, help pack for next weeks trips that are going out, and to do random work projects around camp. Since I don't have as much responsibility this week, I joined the cast of Rock Out week (Theme of session 1 here at camp) as yours truely, Lil' Wayne (pictured above). I was lucky enough to pull together a convincing get up, and help start camp off on the right foot.


Newest hobby: slackline;ing

1 comment: