Monday, July 13, 2009

Week two on the Colorado, with 7 campers and my co counselor Alyssa, was more pleasant than the first. There was a better ratio of guys to girls and the girls weren't as deathly afraid of the bugs as the first group. Having an odd number of campers gave me a chance to float the river in a single duckie. The duckie closely resembled a kayak but it was inflatable. It allowed me to ride the rapid with a whole new level of excitement. Since I was the only paddler in my duckie I took the best lines I could find, wherever the biggest waves were crashing is where I headed. I remembered surfing when I rafted in the past and decided to give it a shot in my duckie. This is a process when you paddle up stream to a spot where the water is rushing over a submerged rock, the water is traveling fast enough over the rock it creates a small eddy just below the rock, this is where I would place my kayak and the current would keep me in place. In some cases the water would rush over the sides of my duckie filling it with water as I battled the forces to stay in the sweet spot. The weather for the trip could not have been better and provided ample opportunities to work on my tanning especially in the upper thigh region. I left the trip with great tan lines and another successful trip under my belt.

While I was gone, on July 7, I became what is known as; an Uncle. Now I think that the term 'uncle' makes an individual seem old and wise, the qualifications will come, but nontheless I am proud to be an Uncle and welcome Cash Aaron into the Wolverton clan. Oh if he only knew what he was getting into...

Tomorrow marks the halfway point of the summer. It is now that I can confidently say that I have slept on the ground many more times than in a bed, more outside than under a roof, used a 1ft. by 8in. pillow more than a big fluffy one, used my meijer travel tooth brush more than my usual brush, worn the same two pairs of shorts and jeans for multiple months, taken minimal showers, but have gotten to experience more than I could have asked for. Tomorrow also marks the day that I take off on my climax trip of the summer, Surf.n Turf. We will be road tripping through southern Utah for 4 days and then staying for 5 days at Camp Surf where we will battle the ocean and attempt to ride the gnar (surf). We have a great group, and I have a fantastic co-counselor (also a Michigander). There is nothing but an open road ahead....

cowabunga dude

3 comments:

  1. Have a great trip on surf and turf. I know this will be the high light of your summer!! Enjoy. We love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on bein an uncle dude!!! sounds like ur havin fun out there.. Take care man!

    - Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on being an uncle but I have to make a correction~~he was born on 7-8-09! Have a great week! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete