Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Journal Entry [5.11.2010]


I could hardly sleep, anticipating my journey North. I tend to hesitate claiming to be a true 'Michigander', having hardly explored my own state. Traverse City was always a city that sounded appealing. The thoughts raced through my mind as I searched for sleep. A 30min snooze wasn't enough to make up for my lost sleep, but when I couldn't find my wallet I felt as though it was all a dream. After my expired debit card failed at the ATM, I was lucky to remember the archaic form of money, checks, were stored in my study desk. Tip Saved!

I spent the morning driving North where spring has yet to take full effect. The forests thickened as I navigated to Traverse City. I was fortunate enough to catch up with Morgan Truelove in a small window before he embarked on his own journey westward (Colorado river guiding). We played disc golf, gathered supplies for his trip, chicken potpies with his parents, and set the slackline on the beach of Lake Michigan on the Leelanau peninsula.

I awoke to Morgan tapping on my van windows, a blank map in my mind. While Morgan packed his final necessities I searched the map deciding my direction. The predicted rain posed no threats or limitations in my mind. Saying farewell to Traverse City, I headed North on the 'stickered' famous M-22. Leelanau State Park was my destination. When I arrived I contemplated paying the entrance fee at the self-service welcome center. Once the park employee arrived I knew I had no choice, it wouldn't fit my budget. I decided the drive was good enough; on to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore! Heading South I anxiously awaited the first signs indicating my arrival, but they seemed misplaced, there was no park infrastructure so I continued to drive. As I weaved along the fresh water coast a side road caught my attention. I was looking for a nice lunch spot and came upon the Lane Rd. dead end, landed the Concord (van) and surveyed the scene. The dead end sat on the top of a forested dune, the beach below. I grabbed my Crazy Creek chair and my Subway and headed to the beach for lunch. Once I arrived at the water edge I forced myself to eat, hardly able to sit still, with motherly words running through my head, "You have to finish your lunch so you will have the energy to play." While swallowing my final bite I packed my gear and stowed it on the beach; time to explore!

The rain drops lightly misted the rocks awash, exposing my first petoskey stones. My eyes were glued to the beach searching for exciting rocks. I managed to pause and look around coincidentally spotting a Cairn. I placed a black stone on top to signify my presence and symbolically removing all negative energy. A trail appeared just beyond the Cairn, I followed the path randomly choosing this fork and that. I stopped for a breath, to take in the surroundings, I spotted a cemetery. I approached with the excitement of a 13year old on his first date, unsure what to expect. A moment of silence then I entered examining the headstones that dated back to the late 1800's, the Ericssons laid peacefully below the sandy soils and a mighty canopy.

The trail continued on, opening to a huge grass pasture, an old crop field I presume. An old, but well built barn lay on its edge. I managed to squeeze inside, reminiscent of my adolescent years climbing the rafters in our old Victorian barn on E Dr S. I didn't stay long, more beach to explore.

I found my way to the top of a dune, a lonely bench sat for passerby's to soak in the panoramic landscape. When I reached the beach once more I was sure to keep my eyes on alert, fully present. My senses keen, I spotted an old green ranger cabin. Sliding a rock to the side, I let myself in. It was filled with crayon drawn images from 2000 and 2004. Old candles also lined the inside, some advertised "Anti-Jinxing Candle". I didn't stay long, with a feeling I didn't belong, snapped a photo and left.

Once I returned to the Concord (van) I scouted a nice hammock location on the side of the dune, the waves impacting the sand a hundred feet below. The aqua blue water disappeared into the horizon, meeting the deep blue sky, disguising the transition. A long read on Ed Viesturs 'No Shortcuts to the Top' allowed my body to rest. Only half of the beach had been explored by my footsteps, the other half awaiting my quick sneakers. The cool day didn't hold back my sweat as I ran towards the North point, and the clear cool water didn't hold back my smelly energized body. I ran across the beach into the blue with nothing on but water! Clean from head to toe, flesh to soul, it was time to feed my hunger. Wild Rice with a hint of Lake Michigan's finest sediment, sand. It was satisfying tasteful and warm. My hammock cradled me tightly as I enjoyed a beer for desert, watching the clouds absorbs what would have been the sunset. I sit in Grandpa's van 'the Concord', bed is made, zipper pulled tight. A night next to the Lake, excited for what awaits.




photos at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2392945&id=22411288&l=3c11632f5d

No comments:

Post a Comment