Monday, June 1, 2009




My mind was racing creating unrealistic expectations while trying to absorb my situation as the twelve of the trip staff (including our boss) traveled to New Mexico. Chris, two co-workers and myself were leaders of the day the first day on trail. We followed what we thought to be the correct trail, soon we realized we were on a different trail. Soon that trail faded and we were left with map skills and a river. Luckily we stumbled upon our campsite after bushwhacking for miles and a couple hours. The second day we day hiked to Lake Katherine, roughly 12,000ft. We were surprised to see a frozen lake, soon the snow storm began. On the third day we started to hike to what would be the second campsite but since the New Mexican, Pecos wilderness, has experienced severe droughts in the past and pine beetle problems the campsite was too dangerous due to potential widow makers (dead trees about to topple). We decided to hike on and explore the caves on our way out. One more night in New Mexico and then we headed to Colorado's Sand Dune National Park (pic above). The trip was a success! New friendships were made, spirits lifted, and once my feet were on the mountain slopes in the back-country my mind was free. After some group backpacking I have a lot more confidence leading youngsters into the wilderness and I am looking forward to my trip assignments for the summer.

Current Read: The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari

Life is Good when you are getting paid to do what you LOVE!

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing!! I can't believe you're mine. I am so blessed to have you as my son. WOW!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete