Monday, August 3, 2009

Session 7, it was time to go back to my roots, my first job in Colorado, enter the world of a cabin counselor. I was assigned to be with 12year old boys, in the Cherokee cabin. The theme of the week was space invaders, and all of the camp games and spirit were influenced by the theme. The first day of the cabin was a little rough since three of the boys played lacrosse together so they were excellent at showing each other they were good friends, but in a very physical manner. Once we established the "keep your hands to your self" rule, the week smoothed out. The week was cold, each day feeling like spring. We just couldn't keep the thunderstorms and rain away, most days. The week went very well and my co-counselor Greg and I got along well, both very chill counselors with very few rules, letting the kids do what they please, until it got out of control. We were pleased to receive a small care package from a parent on the final day, filled with vitamin water, soda, candy, and trail mix. A good cap to the week.

This weekend Chris and I took a mountain bike trip just across the road of camp property, but we were surprised to stumble upon the famous trails of winter park and the surrounding area. We were climbing tight rocky switchbacks and dodging low branches, as we climbed to the top of the mountain. We spent a lot of time riding up the trails, powering over boulders, and steep climbs. The descent was much more enjoyable, flying through the forest on a small 8in wide bike path is quite exhilarating. As we zipped past a pile of logs we herd a quick rustle and pleasantly spotted a HUGE porcupine.

This week, I start a two week program, with a group of Rotary International students. We have 10 campers, 5 girls and 5 guys, each representing one of five countries; Belgium, Austria, Germany, Italy, and Spain. (oh and one American camper and two American counselors) They are great kids that are ready to have a lot of fun. I am very excited to take them into the backcountry and show them the American wilderness. Some of the best in the heart of the Rockies.

Two weeks of camp sessions left.

2 comments:

  1. Just got to know you had this blog! So happy to see you at least online! I promise I wont bother you posting to much things, but must tell you I miss you that’s why I will be looking around your blog! Love always, Marina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you teach the boys to keep their hands to themselves when Deb and I have been trying to teach you and Matt this for years with no success? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete