Monday, August 10, 2009

This week has loomed ahead of me all summer, I had no clue what to expect, what the program would look like, who the campers were, how many campers would be coming to camp, or even where we would be taking them backpacking.

On Sunday, all 10 campers arrived at camp, from Denver by bus. Three Italians, two Belgians, two Spaniards, one Austrian, one German, and one American. 10 campers that all came to CCO through a program, Rotary International, to learn about the American culture, practice their English, pick up on American slang/and style (I must add), and learn leadership skills.

This past week we took the group of campers on a backpacking trip to Rocky Mountain National Park. We hiked flattop mountain, starting at roughly 8,500 ft, climbing to roughly 12,300ft, and then descending back to roughly 8,300ft. I was not sure what to expect out of the European group. They were new to the environment, especially the altitude. We started our first day and had an impressive pace. The mocho guys (which three of the five tower over me, giants, making me feel like I should go back to the McDonalds playplace) asked "this is our hardest day?" with doubt in their delivery. The second day was easier putting us at about 11,200ft (treeline). This night we went to bed early so that we could awake at 3:45am to attempt to catch the sun rise on top of the 12,300ft. ridge. We lay under our tarps and as if someone was shinning flashlights into our eyes, lightning followed by thunder rolled in on top of us. Lucky it didn't bring much rain, but the intensity of the lightning and sound of the thunder is amplified when you are only hundreds of feet from the cloud.
The next morning we awoke extra early, to a full moon still in the sky. We cooked breakfast (oatmeal which was a new concept to the Europeans, and many ate it with bitter looks on their faces), packed, and set off on trail. Once we broke the treeline, the light from the moon was enough light to guide us on the trail. Each step brought the sun closer to the horizon until finally it illuminated the majestic surroundings. All the campers trekked across the ridge with ease putting us to our next camp site at an early 10:10am; enough time for a nap....before lunch.


This is a special group that I have been lucky enough to counsel. They are full of energy and life, they are all willing to learn a lot about America and themselves. I have also learned that I am the only dumb one in the group, knowing a measly one language. Most of all I am excited about this group of foreign teenagers, as I anxiously await my parents return from Kazachstan, hopefully with two new sisters by their side.


This week is the final week of summer, the 14th my work agreement ends, and my summer job will be finished. I look forward to an exciting culminating week ahead, as I look to put a final exclamation point on my favorite summer yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment