Wednesday, September 23, 2009



This past weekend, some friends and I were lucky to be part of the 2nd Pine River Extravaganza. Tanner, Carsten, Chris, Trent, Matt and I made the trip into the Huron-Manistee National Forest to a hunting cabin secured by Tanner. We all opted to sleep under the stars instead of using the security of the trailer.

I was happy to be able to sleep in my hammock and took full advantage of the area and found two trees that would suffice. However when I was awaken, fear running thorough my blood, by the yelling of some Michigan wildlife I was wishing I had someone near to confirm the bloody kurdaling scream coming from 20ft. At first my panic placed me in Colorado, with campers sleeping all around me, once I realized that I was in Michigan and there is nothing to worry about, I was able to fall asleep. The next morning we concluded it must have been a rabbit being slowly killed or making love, yelling like a school child or Nevadan prostitute. (one or the other)

The Pine river is the fastest running river in Michigan, and it gave us a wild ride. The river meanders seemingly unaltered by human activities which provided some technical terrain for us to navigate. We all made the complete trip on water without a single canoe tipping over. Big improvement from last year. This trip was wonderful and we really lucked out with the weather, blue bird skies throughout the weekend. It was a great end to summer. Yesterday being the autumnal equinox, it's time to welcome the cooler nights, foggy mornings, changing leaves, and apple cider.

No comments:

Post a Comment