Saturday, August 15, 2009

Today is the final day of my work agreement with Camp Chief Ouray. Yesterday the final group of campers went home to get ready to start school, and today we cleaned.

This past week was spent in camp, having our group of international campers get involved within camp to help them develop better leadership skills. I was thoroughly impressed with the group, as they rose to every occasion, always exploding my expectations. On Monday night, we were lying on the ground in a circle looking at the beautiful night sky. I repeatedly tried to get the campers attention so that I could show them the milky way, which looks like a large cloud stretching across the sky. Just as they all finally were paying attention and looking towards the horizon, I said "Now if you look up right there you will see..." the rest of the sentence was going to be, ... a cloudy area which is the milky way. But instead, as I finished saying "...you will see...", a HUGE meteor (big enough that I could see a dark circle with fire coming off behind it with a bright orange trail following behind, painting the sky) darted across the sky, exactly where I was drawing their attention. The campers freaked out and were very impressed, but I assured them that "I just know these kinds of things". It was possibly the best counselor moment I have ever had.

It was a fun week, but the summer is now over. All of my gear, along with Chris' fills my mom's Camry, waiting to return to Michigan. I am excited to return to finish my final year of school, and move into my new place. It has been a wonderful summer, one that I always had in my sights, but it surpassed all of my expectations.

1 comment:

  1. I see that you are around a group of international campers and have been amazed by how cool they are and all that… just to remind…. you had, and have for 10 years now, the nicest and most intelligent girl in the world with you! Miss you, love read your blog! LOT S OF LOVE! Marina, your sister! Please make plains on coming to Brazil! Always thought that you would…. Didn’t forget… please try making!

    ReplyDelete